Friday, November 15, 2013

How Squirrels Helped Find My Heart and more…

Enjoy the gift of today. Let the posts below challenge, inspire, and spark something inside of you.

How Squirrels Helped Find My Heart and more…


 

How Squirrels Helped Find My Heart

by Samantha Sutton

I am about to tell you a goofy, true story about myself and how I learned to find my heart.

On a crisp fall morning about four years ago, I was walking along on my standard route to the coffee shop, when, suddenly, I stopped in my tracks. Lying on the ground in front of me was a dead squirrel; its eyes closed in eternal sleep. I stood there, transfixed, staring at the lifeless being as other pedestrians, bicyclists, and motorists stared at me. I was so very, very sad for that squirrel. One minute it was living its life, gathering acorns and climbing trees and doing its squirrel thing, and the next minute it was all over. No more acorns. I felt for all that the squirrel had lost, and it made me so sad that I started crying. In fact, even now, the thought of that squirrel makes me cry.

This sadness was a very, very good thing for me. You see, I can be quite stoic in my life, squelching down my feelings about things that are way more important to me than squirrels. I can get...

Read the whole entry »

     

 

How many times have you already looked at your phone today?

by Terri Cole

Last month, I challenged you to unplug at least a couple hours a day or maybe, if you were brave, to make an entire day "tech free." The comments varied—from people saying it was helpful and would accept the challenge to many others who said there was no way they could create boundaries when it came to their devices.

This latter group interested me, and I decided to look deeper into the research being done on technology addiction.

If you're one of the many who cannot go to sleep without first checking Facebook or Twitter, this is for you.

Do you understand what is actually happening in your brain? As with other addictions, dopamine, a neurotransmitter in the brain responsible for pleasure, is released when someone "likes" your status update or mentions you on Twitter. And, just like other addictive substances, the dopamine release is short-lived and leaves you craving more. In essence, we've become a bit like Pavlov's dogs—every time our phone sounds an alert,...

Read the whole entry »

     

 

More Recent Articles

 




Your requested content delivery powered by FeedBlitz, LLC, 9 Thoreau Way, Sudbury, MA 01776, USA. +1.978.776.9498

 

No comments:

Post a Comment