Saturday, November 2, 2013

Negativity Is Draining and Gets Me Nowhere and more…

Enjoy the gift of today. Let the posts below challenge, inspire, and spark something inside of you.

Negativity Is Draining and Gets Me Nowhere and more…


 

Negativity Is Draining and Gets Me Nowhere

by Hayley Hobson

Yesterday, I heard from a close friend that one of her best friends had died. He was in his thirties.

The week before that, my husband ended up in the ER because of a horrible accident in our garage.

Here are headlines you may be familiar with:

Kids shot in gang violence.

Corruption.

Sports players doped up on steroids and publicly shunned.

Car accidents.

Sudden Death.

Loss.

Big Corporation Fraud.

Does the nightly news report anything positive in the world?

The other night, I turned on the news. Normally, my husband is the one who has the tv blaring, and I zone it out in the background. But on this particular night, I needed some background noise. I was distracted with work, but then I heard it…

Resonating in my ears. Negativity. Negativity. Negativity.

I get that negative packs a punch.

Most memorable love stories end in tragedy, and almost every compelling love song is about suffering.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see why we live in a society where it's easy to...

Read the whole entry »

     

 

One Way to Boost Happiness? Connect with My Past.

by Gretchen Rubin

Last weekend, I went to Washington, D.C., to attend the reunion of Justice Sandra Day O'Connor's clerks. This event made me happy for many reasons. I was thrilled to see Justice O'Connor. I loved catching up with many old friends and acquaintances. I enjoyed walking around the halls of the Supreme Court building.

GretchenandSOC

And the entire weekend reminded me of the usefulness of my resolution to stay connected to my past.

I have a terrible memory of my own past. I can barely remember my childhood. I have few memories from college and law school—though once I got married, I got the advantage of being able to consult my husband's memory. Many of my resolutions–like keep a one-sentence journal or keep photos or take tourist photos of my own life–are aimed at helping me remember my own past.

Because I'm not a lawyer anymore, it's especially easy for me to lose touch with my lawyer past. My husband and I met in law school–you can see photo highlights here–but he's not a...

Read the whole entry »

     

 

If you ask me what I came to do in this world, I, an artist, will answer you: I am here to live out loud.

by Positively Positive

Related Posts How to Change the World by Sitting on Countertops, Slugging Hot Cocoa, and Reading Neruda Out Loud Be the Art and the Artist How to Do Less and Live More Why Meditation May Be Your Answer to a State of Calm

     

 

More Recent Articles

 




Your requested content delivery powered by FeedBlitz, LLC, 9 Thoreau Way, Sudbury, MA 01776, USA. +1.978.776.9498

 

No comments:

Post a Comment