Sunday, October 20, 2013

Stop Buying into This Lie and more…

Enjoy the gift of today. Let the posts below challenge, inspire, and spark something inside of you.

Stop Buying into This Lie and more…


 

Stop Buying into This Lie

by Bethany Butzer, Ph.D.

Many people today are buying into a very big lie. A lie that I would like to call "the way of the rational." Over the past few hundred years, humanity has made astounding innovations and progress, largely due to what has come to be known as the scientific method. The scientific method is very, very rational.

It goes something like this: You come up with an idea, test that idea using rigorous standards, and begin accepting that idea as it gets proven over and over through multiple studies. The scientific method relies on statements like, "Don't believe it unless you see it." The logical, rational brain is given supreme power, and if you dare mention anything that's considered "out there" or "woo woo," you will be laughed out of your lab (and perhaps out of a tenure-track position).

For the vast majority of my adult life, I've been living by these rational standards. I was trained as a research scientist, and I was taught to trust my logical mind above all else. I...

Read the whole entry »

     

 

Scars Are Stories Told Through Our Body

by Lockey Maisonneuve

"A really strong woman accepts the war she went through and is ennobled by her scars." 
Carly Simon

Scars are our body's way of helping us share our stories. Some scars are big and some small. Some are a result of a daring stunt that went wrong; some are the reminder of a traumatic event. Some scars we share, and some we don't. Isn't that true for most of our stories?

I have a scar that I didn't like to share. It took me a few weeks before I would share it with my husband. I felt broken, like I was taken apart, never to be whole again. My femininity was stolen, replaced with nothingness. My scar is a result of a mastectomy due to a breast cancer diagnosis.

After the first mastectomy, I started chemotherapy. Almost immediately after the second treatment, my hair fell out. Just when I thought my self-esteem couldn't get any lower, all my hair fell out.

Over the course of eighteen months, I completed treatment, had the second mastectomy and reconstructive...

Read the whole entry »

     

 

More Recent Articles

 




Your requested content delivery powered by FeedBlitz, LLC, 9 Thoreau Way, Sudbury, MA 01776, USA. +1.978.776.9498

 

No comments:

Post a Comment