Saturday, October 26, 2013

Are You Lying to Yourself? It Doesn’t Work. and more…

Enjoy the gift of today. Let the posts below challenge, inspire, and spark something inside of you.

Are You Lying to Yourself? It Doesn't Work. and more…


 

Are You Lying to Yourself? It Doesn't Work.

by Hayley Hobson

I must have been a teenager the first time I thought about what it meant to lie to myself.

I don't know where the thought derived from, but somehow, at the tender age of thirteen, I had a thought about how frightening it would be to live a lie.

I'm not sure if this is a common thought for most teenagers.

Most of the teenagers I encounter have very little self-awareness, and even though I had a lot more self-awareness than the average kid my age back then, I didn't fully understand how prophetic that thought would be down the line.

But it did eventually happen. And all because of a relationship. Or maybe I should say because of my insecurity to find love.

The first time my heart got broken, I was a mess.

After a year, I tried to move on, meeting new boys all the time. None of them truly made my heart sing.

I thought there was something wrong with me.

Why couldn't I feel?

Why wasn't it like before?

Why didn't I feel chemistry with anyone?

Many of these boys vied for...

Read the whole entry »

     

 

Feeling Blue? Consider the Beauty of Nature.

by Gretchen Rubin

One common happiness challenge is: How do you give yourself a boost when you're feeling blue? Or when you're past the point of feeling blue and are feeling deeply unhappy?

One refuge is to consider the beauty of nature.

Nature is impersonal, awe-inspiring, elegant, eternal. It's geometrically perfect. It's tiny and gigantic.
@GretchenRubin (Click to Tweet!)

You can travel far to be in a beautiful natural setting, or you can observe it in your backyard or, in my case, in the trees lining New York City sidewalks or in the clouds above skyscrapers.

A few nights ago, my eight-year-old daughter burst into my office. She was very excited to show me a video, Pendulum Waves, which shows extraordinary patterns created by the simple pendulum.

Watching the video, I was struck, for the millionth time, by the beauty of nature. I often remind myself of one of my favorite quotations, from Boethius, "Contemplate the extent and stability of the heavens, and then at last cease to...

Read the whole entry »

     

 

More Recent Articles

 




Your requested content delivery powered by FeedBlitz, LLC, 9 Thoreau Way, Sudbury, MA 01776, USA. +1.978.776.9498

 

No comments:

Post a Comment